Depression is a debilitating mood disorder characterised by multiple emotional, behavioural and somatic symptoms. Numerous drug therapies exist to normalise neurotransmitters in the brain that are found to be abnormal in depression.
Benefits of WBCT in the management of depressive symptoms
- Significant reduction in depressive symptoms as measured on the Hamilton’s depression rating scale and Hamilton’s anxiety-rating scale (Rymaszewska J, 2008)
- Significant reduction in anxiety symptoms
- Improvements in sleep:
- Less difficulty falling asleep
- Improved quality of sleep
- Reduction in “early waking”